Background

Background

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies



When I was younger, my brother always requested that I make Chocolate Chip Cookies. Even when he was serving an LDS mission, he always asked that we send some his way. Years have passed and for the life of me, I do not remember that recipe. When I became an adult, I was always searching for a new recipe that wouldn't sink. The day Pinterest came and I found and tried several recipes claiming to be the "World's Greatest Chocolate Chip Cookie". I finally found one that I fell in love with!! Of course, the link now has a warning that reads: This link redirects visitors to another site - it may link to spam or other inappropriate content. I assure you, it is not spam or inappropriate. The recipe came from Dana Made It. This recipe makes a TON too. Which is great to put in the freezer to bake cookies anyday.

( This picture is from Dana Made It)

CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Makes 5-6 dozen
Or…tons of dough to freeze for later enjoyment

1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
1 Cup Butter (don’t use margarine)
1 1/2 cups White Sugar
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
5 3/4 to 6 cups Flour (if the cookies feel flat, use 6 cups)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 bags choc chips (12 oz bags) – 1 semi-sweet, 1 milk chocolate

There are three key points in this recipe.
1. Use shortening and butter. I know some of you are going to replace the shortening with butter, and I won’t hold it against you. But the shortening is what gives the cookie a slight crispness around the edges while still feeling soft inside.

So, start by mixing the shortening and butter with white and brown sugar. Add the three eggs and vanilla and here’s the second key point….

2. Mix the buttery/egg mixture for a full THREE minutes. The time is important for the eggs and butter to become fully whipped and to develop new chemistry. You’ll watch the buttery mix go from gushy liquid to beautiful cream.

In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, and salt). Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix. Then add the other 1/2 and mix.
And finally….

3. Use a lot of good chocolate chips and mix semi-sweet with milk chips.
Some recipes call for one bag of chocolate chips. This recipe is large so we’re using 2 bags. (I'll admit, if I don't have milk chocolate chips, I'll use straight semi-sweet.

Bake at 350 for 8-9 mins. or just until the cookies are slightly golden on top. You want them to be soft inside. Allow them to cool for a few minutes and transfer to a cooking rack.



Now, here's a cool trick I found on Pinterest from Fooducate, of course. Take your dollar store ice cube trays & fill each hole with your left over cookie dough. About the same amount in each hole as you made for each cookie. Throw them in the freezer until it is frozen enough to keep its form. Transfer them from the ice cube trays to a zip lock bag. Then, when you are ready for cookies again, pop them on the pan and throw in the over. I like to put them in the microwave for 20 seconds or throw them in the oven while it is pre-heating. Then bake as normal.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: