Background

Background

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers - Paleo Style

For various health reasons, I've decided to try a Paleo diet for a month and see how it helps both Dustin and I. I've read and heard great things about this lifestyle and am excited to give it a go. I have found several recipes online from Pinterest. I'm posting several recipes here because one site said it will only be available until the end of the month. (I have not tried this recipe yet but plan to next week and will post pictures and a review after we try it.)

Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers - Paleo Style



Ingredients:
4 green bell peppers, top removed and hollowed out
1 lb ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 egg
2 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced fine
1 ten oz can of petite diced tomatoes (I like the garlic, oregano and basil flavored), drained of excess fluid
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 and arrange bell peppers on a baking sheet, cut side up. 
In a medium sized bowl, combine meat, onion, jalapeno, tomatoes and egg until mixed thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Fill bell pepper "cups" with meat mixture. If there's any left over, you can form patties and bake them on your baking sheet.

Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

A note from the original blogger:
Typically, stuffed bell peppers have rice or breadcrumbs in them to bind the meat together. Mine does not, obviously, so while the egg helps, I typically serve mine by placing the bell pepper over a bed of vegetables. Then I slice it open and just mix the meat, pepper and veggies together before I eat it. It's just as good. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: